Common app launches new transfer app


A new app designed to ease the transition for transfer students will be used by more than 650 colleges and universities for the 2018-19 academic year.

Last year, The Common Application, a nonprofit dedicated to access, fairness and integrity in the college admissions process, brought together a group representing colleges of two and four. years, student advocacy groups and education policy experts to identify the main obstacles. access for post-traditional students. Their findings led to the development of a redesigned common application for transfer that takes into account the unique circumstances of today’s mature student and transfer populations.

Jenny rickard

According to the National Center for Education Statistics, only 15% of students in the United States attend a four-year institution and live on campus. The remaining 85 percent are a diverse group of adult learners, full-time employees, low-income students, commuters, and working parents. These so-called post-traditional students often face challenges during the university application process, making it difficult for them to access the full range of higher education options available.

Schools will use the transfer app to improve the pathways and outcomes of baccalaureate applicants hoping to move from a four-year college to another four-year institution or from a community college to a four-year institution, or who are serving members, veterans, online learners and adults returning to school to earn a degree.

Students can now explore hundreds of colleges and universities that will use the new transfer app and learn how to apply. Common App member institutions continue to be added to the search function on as their programs are uploaded with the transfer application. Students can also find the latest Common Application Membership List live accepting the New Common Application for transfer in the Applicant Solution Center, as well as additional resources.

Just as the support needs of transferring students often differ from those of traditional undergraduates, so does the admissions process. This has prompted The Common Application and its members from over 800 colleges and universities around the world to reinvent the transfer application process in collaboration with technology partner Liaison International. Last year, The Common App assembled a Transfer Advisory Board which included a diverse group of Common App member institutions, organizations with expertise in the field of transfers including the Aspen Institute and community colleges where nearly 40% of transfer students start their higher education.

Transfer applicants are more likely to be first-generation students, often having to overcome barriers to balancing their education with work and family responsibilities. For the 2017-2018 academic year, 38% of transfer students using the common application were the first in their family to apply to the university. The organization and its members recognized that in order to help transfer students realize their potential and pursue their undergraduate studies, The Common App needs to provide them with an app relevant to their life story while making the application process more efficient by simplifying the way fee waivers, transcripts and other documents are submitted.

Some of the new enhancements to the app allow institutions to offer students a targeted application experience through the expanded profile that includes personalized pathways and programs based on age, goals, degree status, and academic backgrounds. credits obtained; a prerequisite course function so that applicants can select the courses they have taken to apply to the prerequisites of a given academic program; expanded document collection to centralize document collection, including those applicable to transfer applicants such as DD214, joint service transcription and financial transcription; and the experience and achievement tracking that allows transfer applicants to report their volunteer, internship and work experience, as well as any rewards or honors they have accrued outside of the classroom.

“When a lot of people think of today’s student, they can imagine a recent high school graduate living on campus,” said Jenny Rickard, President and CEO of The Common Application. “In fact, she has a full-time job and a family to support. She may be a returning veteran looking for a new career. Or, she may have a variety of other life circumstances that have prevented her from pursuing a direct path to her future,

“We are committed to providing better pathways and equitable opportunities for the talented and growing group of individuals who have not followed the so-called ‘traditional’ path to college but who are determined to achieve their educational goals. The Common App and our members are equally committed to meeting these candidates where they are in their lives and helping them pursue their dreams.


Leave A Reply